Cool Stuff

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Life...Of It's Own.



Often, in the not so distant past I felt the need, almost daily really to justify what I was doing writing this blog. Today...I no longer feel the need to do so. I think it speaks for itself. I set some basic goals, parameters really and the thing has then taken on a life of it's own. Shell Shock Serenade has accurately reflected what is going on in my life ("I" being the recovering addict/alcoholic) on a day to day basis.

To this day I'm still not sure exactly what I was trying to accomplish: Perhaps represent people in recovery in a more human and understandable light. And continuing in that vein, educate those who know nothing about alcoholism/addiction. I don't think it was my intention originally to open up so deeply but by doing so I have achieved a personal benefit that I KNOW wasn't a goal when I started: To publicly journal about my life, with out hesitation or editing. I opened myself up inside and out and by doing so have learned so much about MYSELF that I didn't know before.

Ultimately I have benefited the most...the more honest and open I was...the more benefit I received. I can without a doubt say that writing this blog has been a cathartic, cleansing, mind-opening endeavour...it is also one of the healthiest and positive undertakings I have been a part of. I've grown as a person..a human being, as a father, as a guy in recovery and most unexpected as a writer...something I had NO confidence in when I started.

I actually see myself writing now, weather it be just for the heck of it or for other reason's, blogging has giving me confidence that I can write well enough to let it go out to the world. And in letting these daily, little parts of me go out to the world...I have actually, for the first time in my life joined the Human Race...