Cool Stuff

Saturday, December 31, 2011

RELAX! I Just Like Cemeteries...




I realize that I have used a lot of pictures of cemeteries lately to illustrate my posts. NO, I do not have a death wish and double NO, I am not morbidly fascinated with death and dying either. I have always found cemeteries beautiful...especially military cemeteries. Most of the recent pics are courtesy of the American Battlefield Monuments Commission and their FaceBook Page. Mostly taken in France and Belgium they are mainly Great War Cemeteries (WWI) though there are some WWII represented as well.


Arlington Tomb Of The Unknown


The British Great War Cemeteries on the Somme and at Ypres are the most beautiful I have ever seen along with Arlington National Cemetery in Washington, DC.The pictures I have included in this post are from Arlington.


Boston's Granary burial ground.jpg


I am not just attracted to military cemeteries...one of the reasons I loved to visit Boston so much was the historical cemeteries they have there like the Old Granary Cemetery right downtown. John Hancock, Paul Revere and Samuel Adams are all buried here in this little cemetery surrounded by high rise modern buildings....very cool.
Old North Church
There are historic cemeteries all over the city and another cool one near the Old North Church which itself just oozes history. I would love to attend a candle light service in this church. As you can see from the pic above this church has Boxes as opposed to pews and each family bought their box...not sure if it is still that way or not...


As most regular or semi-regular readers to Shell Shock will realize the pics I post often have nothing what so ever to do with the subject of the post...though some times they do. And I tend to follow trends I set say for Impressionist Painting which I have been posting a lot of lately. 


I also have some friends here locally that tinker with taking PHOTOS so I post them as well. Basically the rule of them is if I happen to like the pic, then I post it. And there could be a million reasons a picture or painting. If it MOVES me well then I post it regardless if it has anything at all to do with the content of the original post.


I hope that clears up any questions about my "supposed" morbid fascination with death and dying and such! Nope I just look at them as beautiful pictures...art-works really and post whatever floats me boat....so that right there is what this is all about...me floating ME BOAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment