Cool Stuff

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Playing Your Lie...

Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots- But you have to play the ball where it lies. - Bobby Jones
Bobby Jones 1930 winnaar US Amateur.jpg

I find it fascinating that a Lawyer and an amateur golfer born in 1902 had such a simple yet profound and astute view of life. When I first found recovery, the notion of "Acceptance" was drilled into my head. Basically acceptance was realizing that one MUST "play the ball where it lies". I had to accept I was an alcoholic/addict before I could ever take any realistic steps toward recovery. I had to "OWN" my disease...take responsibility for it.

This philosophic notion of playing the ball where it is...not where you WISH it was, is a powerful attitude and most useful when working through life's most difficult and unexpected times. It amazes me how unprepared for life's ups/downs many people are. They live life in a warm & fuzzy cocoon...until trouble visits then they feel sorry for themselves and end up virtually helpless.

To me this notion of "acceptance" not only saved my life but is a positive and helpful daily point of view. No sense trying to kid ourselves...Life IS what it IS, no matter how much we wish it was something different.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a documentary about Billie Jean King I saw a few years back, where she basically presented her philosophy of tennis: every time that ball comes at you, you have to make a big decision. And it can come at you from any single angle, the full 360 degrees. I love people who are passionate about what they do, because they give added value to it. Golf and tennis could be metaphors for life, if one is willing to spend a brainwave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call being passionate about what you do in life Living HARD..and that will always be my choice as long as I have breath to keep pushing on!

      Delete

Comment