Cool Stuff

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Bluntly put, it's a heart breaker

I can be a real jerk sometimes. I'll admit it...I'm not the nicest guy in the world, I can be impatient, suffer a lack of tolerance for people (politicians in particular) I don't happen to agree with, opinionated, outspoken and blunt. No doubt about that. But deep down I am a softy and I'm certainly not mean spirited, just have issues at times keeping my thoughts to myself when I probably should.

All that being said, this blog is a forum for all sides of me to show...particularly the cutting humor/sarcastic/full of satire side of me. Nothing is sacred and nothing is really real at times either. I guess what I am saying here is that while I am serious about some things, other times I'm not. I'm scamming....It's sarcasm, humor and plain ole goofing around. I realize it's hard to tell at times which is which but I suppose that is the challenge of any reader...figure it out. Love it or hate it....it is what it is.


With that out of the way, I need to refer back to a blog I wrote some time ago. It was about a local newspaper putting letters to the editor that in my humble opinion have no right being published. It almost seems like this editor has it in for certain people so they post the letters as is, they are not edited for grammar, while others clearly are. They aren't shortened for publication and frankly they serve no purpose but to humiliate (if this person where mentally competent to realize they were being humiliated) the write. They are full of ranting, hateful speculation about specific people and frankly don't make any sense at all most of the time.


In this one particular case, the writer is a woman I happen to have met quite some time ago. She is a Meth addict and in my opinion is not in recovery and is very, very sick. Her letters (I thought about posting this last one but it is so sick, so sad, confused, angry, hateful and accusatory that it would break every one's heart who reads it like it did mine), I'll admit they are a pitiful cry for help but putting them in a public, petty, small town newspaper with her full name and address included is not ethical and it is downright hateful in it's own right.


I will ad, that this individual has had multiple opportunities to get help for her addiction...hospitals, treatment centers, 12 step programs, in some cases many times over. She has to WANT it and she clearly doesn't. I do not believe in any way that her case is hopeless. No freaking way...I have seen many people literally come back from the throes of death to find a new life. She can too. But this does not help her.


I just hate to see how this is being played out in the newspaper...I think it's really wrong and for the life of me can't understand what they are trying to do by printing these half a dozen letters from her over the last 7 months or so. I'm not seeing it and it truly breaks my heart....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment