Cool Stuff

Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Day After...

Yesterday was not a good day to be a Purdue Boilermaker sports fan. First of all the football team lost another game they seemingly had some control over...this one in overtime to IU, their arch rivals.
Purdue wide receiver Gary Bush can't quite hold on to a deep pass in the second quarter. Bush had one catch in the game.

As if that wasn't bad enough, their 8th ranked men's basketball Team lost to Richmond in a Holiday Tournament in Chicago. Richmond is a good team but frankly a team the boilers should have rolled over. Instead they were never really in the game, losing by 11.

Purdue's JaJuan Johnson (left) finds himself pressured by Richmond's Kevin Smith in Saturday night's game.

The kicker of course was that the Notre Dame Fighting Irish managed to hold on and win at USC, beating the Trojans for the first time in 8 years. It just  irks one to watch another rival have success when our teams are clearly struggling at the moment.


I don't know what to say about the football team. I'm not a doom and gloom guy (like my father is at the moment) convinced we can never be good with this coach and his type of recruit. On the other hand I see a disturbing trend  where the head coach is repeatedly making the same mistakes and clearly expecting a different result. Some use that as a rough definition of insanity: "When one makes the same decisions over and over and expects a different result".

The basketball team on the hand is is going to be fine I believe. In big time college B-Ball sometimes a loss like this early in Non-Conference play is a good motivator, providing the coach with obvious examples of areas that need improvement. I think they'll be just fine.

I have been a Purdue fan all of my life and it's not easy. I had the perfect excuse to be an Ohio State Fan like my sister, heck we grew up in Columbus Ohio. But no, my father went to Purdue as did several members of our family, shoot you could stand on my grandparents porch and look two blocks down to your left and their stood Mackey Arena and behind it Ross-Ade Stadium.

Well I suppose I have to practice a little acceptance in my life as a boiler fan as well, this too shall pass and tomorrow is another day....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment