Cool Stuff

Sunday, June 3, 2012

The GIFT



There is a funny little feeling I sometimes get when I get up in the morning...it's almost a mischievous kind of feeling like I am doing something that I shouldn't. Like skinny dipping in a neighbors pool at midnight without their permission or sitting in front row box seats at a TIGERS game when all I paid for were seats in the back of the upper deck.


What is it that I am doing this morning that I really probably shouldn't be doing? Living...


That's right, I know in my heart of hearts that my life today is a gift...by all reasonable expectations Thomas Olin Davis should have died sometime ago. It sounds like I am being overly dramatic here but it doesn't take long for me to recite a short list of experiences from my life that validate without a doubt that I should not exist this morning...except as a sad memory for some of the few people left who still cared for me after decades of living for SELF.


But I don't look at it as living on borrowed time...no, it is what it is. And I don't really sit around questioning it either...no I need to be spending my time LIVING. And today that means so much more then what "living" meant to me in the past. There is a sense of duty...of responsibility  in my life today to make each moment worthwhile by serving, by reaching out to others who are struggling at the moment. And you know what I discovered along the way that this kind of life, focusing on other people instead of my self is better in many different ways. MUCH, MUCH better!


Off to church....see 'ya later!


(Photo by Kathy Tomson)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment