Cool Stuff

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Reading Out Loud: Starting A New Tradition


Many of you know I do some Bible reading to Seniors at an assisted Living Home as well as being involved in a Bible Listening/Reading Ministry at my church and for shut-ins (people unable to leave their homes). My point in bringing this up has nothing to do with me or my involvement in this volunteer stuff because make no mistake: it is NO sacrifice from me at all...I benefit the most by helping others. No I bring this up because I have re-discovered a love for reading out loud. And I think others might want to try it to...don't laugh about it...you might be surprised!

Kim and I started doing it sometime ago where I would read to her out of a book every day. There is really something special about reading aloud and I can't really say why. I just suggest you try it. It is great for couples, it's very romantic
 getting close on the couch, snuggled up next to a fire and reading a favorite book, or story...maybe poetry.

Several generations ago there weren't as many written works and people recited stories and poems from memory. Oral reciting tradition is very important in many cultures, including our Native American Culture here in the United States.

Most of us that have had children at one time or another have found ourselves reading bed time stories. This is no different really. It's funny but a great many adults are just as fond of being read to now as they were when they were kids. It is a peaceful way to end the day with the family, getting together in one of the kid's room's and read a story. Or read with your spouse or significant other...

I know this sounds a bit off the wall in this day of the computer and television...why would anyone want to bother reading to one another. My suggestion is that you just TRY IT...and find out for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment