Cool Stuff

Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Historic opportunity WASTED...



I just finished watching the Steven Spielberg made move "WAR HORSE" and in all honesty I was really kind of disappointed. Part of my issue, is that when I watch a film base on historical fact I expect it to stay at least fairly close to the actual facts. If a film begins to stray away from those facts...I lose interest and this film not only wasn't really historically correct but it wasn't even in the realm of what was realistic. It's obvious many others felt the same way since it was released at Christmas time to huge fanfare only to totally BOMB. I just did not like this movie though I really wanted to because there are so few films about this era....                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
It's really a shame as well because The Great War is all but forgotten in the United States these days and this film was a perfect opportunity to introduce several generations of Americans to that incredibly important time in world history. It was an opportunity lost. I guess I would say watch it anyway..but frankly I cannot...it was that corny, unrealistic and frankly a waste of time. Sorry but that's my two cents...

2 comments:

  1. I had posted about this movie on my blog after I heard about it, but haven't watched it yet. However, someone just lent it to me, so now I will be.

    I go into watching movies with no expectations, but I do hope that they will entertain me in some way or move me in some manner. I don't think one can realistically expect movies to hold to historical fact, although some tidbits from history may be used. After all, it is a movie, not a documentary. The freedom provided by artistic license may take the movie away from facts, but it is a valuable tool in moving the story along. My way of thinking is that IF a movie gets one person... someone... interested enough in an era or period in history to look further into it when they otherwise wouldn't even have bothered, then it is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand and agree that movies are entertainment but this was still in my mind a huge missed opportunity, especially in the U.S. Steven Spielberg has set a precedent with Saving Private Ryan, involvement in the HBO Band of Brothers and Pacific Mini-Series and Schindler's List of sticking to strict historical accuracy and it really worked. It got millions of Americans interested in this history again. So I don't think it was a stretch to expect that here. And I think he hurt this movie by not making it a historical piece because it's half historical and half fantasy..this should have been a Disney Movie about a Horse because essentially that is what it is....but a POORLY done one.

    I literally had trouble watching this film, it was that bad of a movie...as an ENTERTAINMENT piece, not just a historical one. It was simply awful. K-Sue felt exactly the same way and left 2/3rds of the way through to Vacuum! She NEVER leaves a movie early...no matter how bad! So I wasn't alone in my assessment. I feel bad because there just aren't many (if anymore) opportunities in the States to do a film about the Great War.

    ReplyDelete

Comment