Cool Stuff

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I'm Having Fun Right Now...Don't Really Know Why!!?


I was just reading some recent posts from a few of the blogs I read regularly and it just fascinates me how unique we humans are. I love how each person has their very own special way of "seeing" and interpreting their daily life.

I think one of the most important and crucial aspects of recovery for me was learning how to re-engage into active society and get away from the isolationist lifestyle that I had become so accustomed to. I think if you had asked me even 2-3 years ago (several years after I found recovery) I would have looked you in the eye and told you I was a loner and I preferred to be alone. An I really believed that at the time. I'm learning now that it simply isn't true.

No I had just convinced myself that it was my natural preference to be aloof, alone and isolated.  Don't get me wrong. I am introverted but that is far different from being anti-social. I am convinced today that cultivating relationships...honest, open, loving relationships on all levels is as much responsible for the turn around in my life as staying away from the booze. It was simply impossible for me to cultivate relationships when I was drinking because the "drink" dictated my behavior and I no longer had any influence over my life.

I find it so interesting these days when I get an opportunity to meet new people. And yes I still find it rather odd because I am still a bit of a fish out of water in social "small talk" type situations but each time I experience it...things get better.

I have an early morning study session this morning...still reading "Doctrine" by Mark Driscoll and Gerry Breshears and I will say that I was quite ignorant when it came to basic Christian Doctrine...this study has been a real eye opener and a great benefit to me. I really have enjoyed it...OK, enough...Gotta run!

(Pic By Kathy Tomson)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment