Cool Stuff

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Being Human: Rainy Days, Sundays & Us


Rainy days and Sundays always bring me...FOOTBALL. Sorry I couldn't resist a silly Pun on the classic song "Rainy Days and Mondays" by The Carpenters. Yep, believe it or not I am writing a post that references The Carpenters and this lovely and lonely song.

If I am anything, I am a product of my generation...most of us are though with the onslaught of technology changing lifestyles so quickly and drastically now...the very stuff that "defines" generations has been eroded away leaving very little obvious difference in the current generation growing up and the few directly preceding it and those more then likely that will follow.

I was certainly influenced by the music and culture of the late 1960's and 1970's. From the classic 60's rock of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Doors leading into the 1970's Cultural Icons The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and many more. But there was a lot of other music being written and performed at that time, perhaps in the background of life but just as relevant. The artistic outpouring of this brother and sister act of Karen and Richard Carpenter was was definately some of that relevant music.

As I listen to the words of this song, I have to admit it sends chills right through me...it's absolutely haunting. It reminds me how I felt during those extremely isolated  and lonely periods of my life. But also knowing Karen's sad and tragic history leading to her eventual death of complications from Anorexia make it that much more difficult to listen to.

The music of the Carpenters is often discounted as Top 40 fluff-pop but in my opinion in was anything but...this was heavy, real life emotion. These are some memorable lyrics...extremely relevant and emotionally powerful. People could relate...I could relate:

Talkin' to myself and feelin' old
Sometimes I'd like to quit 
Nothing ever seems to fit
Hangin' around
Nothing to do but frown
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down
What I've got they used to call the blues
Nothing is really wrong
Feelin' like I don't belong
Walkin' Around
Some kind of lonely clown
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down

I think the sheer simplicity of these words actually adds to their impact. I also think this is why so many people, myself included responded to them so emotionally.

I'm sure I'll get blamed for brining everyone down on a Sunday morning but hey, I can't turn this stuff off when it pops into my head!

I think human beings nurture each other through song. I truly believe that Karen Carpenter, with her gloriously beautiful voice is letting is all know that "I feel that way too sometimes...and it's OK, that's life." That was her appeal, she was just like us except she had a gift of Angels...her magnificent voice. I think it's important and yea rather sad to note that only an extreme focus on self could silence that wonderful gift from God. Yet that is exactly what happened...she silenced it herself with her addiction, so sad!


I don't know why I got out of bed humming this song this morning and thinking about such things...It wasn't Monday and at the time it wasn't raining either! Clearly it was just something that needed to be said today...and I guess I got the job. Happy Sunday everyone!