Cool Stuff

Friday, September 16, 2011

We Couldn't Be Closer...



Today is Friday September 16 and tomorrow Dad and I will be attending our first Purdue Football game of the season together. I mentioned in the guest post I wrote for Waxed Red Threads and re-posted here that playing and going to sports events is a huge part of what's best about the relationship I have with my Dad...it always has been that way.


The tradition continued with my son also going to a lot of games but he is in his mid-20's, engaged, fully involved in his career so we don't get to see each other much these days which is understandable. But we spent a great deal of time together when he was a boy and early into adulthood...


When I reflect back and think about how many years we have been doing this, the numbers get a bit frightening...I was 5 years old when I attended my first game Purdue game. I only stayed for a half and I remember (mainly because my dad reminds me of it) that it rained the entire time so my Mom took me back to my Grand-Parents house, which was 2 blocks from Purdue's Ross-Ade Stadium.


I am 49 years old now so you do the math...I can safely say I have attended multiple football games with my father every year since then...that doesn't include the many Ohio State Football Games we attended (we lived in Columbus and a neighbour gave my dad his extra set of Season Tickets. this was during the glory days of OSU Football with Woody Hayes at the helm).


It's hard to say if I am as eager these days to go as I once was yet I still enjoy the experience very much. Through much of the time my kids were growing up, we'd spend weekends in Lafayette going to the games and staying in hotels with a pool. We made mini-vacations out of those weekend.


Now K-Sue is starting to attend games so I imagine that this tradition of going will continue...


So what can I say...another fall season that revolves around football...I can surely think of worse things we could be doing. But honestly, I am grateful that after all these years y father and I not only still speak to each other but get alone as well as we ever had. I attribute some of that fact in no small part to our going to games back in the day when we didn't get along so well. But we always were together on Saturdays and when I think back now those times we spent together then helped bridge the gaps in our relationship that were keeping us apart. 


As far as today? My Father and I couldn't be closer....