Cool Stuff

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Giving Back- A Sense Of Satisfaction


Once again I am in the dog house for having an opinion that differs with the rest of the house hold. The exterminators were here and since black ants were found in the house in a couple of places my folks (I rent rooms from my mom and dad here at the lake year round) had them spray in the house in addition to their monthly spray job outside, around the house. Well, when the guy showed up at my door I kindly asked him to refrain from spraying my room. I did not think it unreasonable...I just don't care to breathe that crap in for the next 24 to 48 hours. Naturally this pissed the old man off....

Honestly I see nothing wrong with asking for them to skip the room where I basically live and write, which is slowly becoming work now since I write between the blog and a couple of book ideas about 4-6 hours a day. Ach...I can't ever seem to win, I am always ignoring the inconveniences that come along with living in somebody else's house. having NO control over the AC or the heat, whether the windows are open in the common areas or not. I am nothing short of totally reasonable about such things and I pay a significant monthly rent, especially for what amounts to a single room...

It is difficult and when stuff like this comes up it really starts the wheels turning in my head about getting a place for myself. I think about the future a great deal and that is one thing I often reflect on, my own private space. Plus as I've recently mentioned I am also thinking about the future in another way...as a couple. Were K-Sue and I to get married we would never live here anyway so that has me thinking as well.

But for now, I'm where I'm supposed to be, that is pretty obvious really. My parents and I are in agreement about my staying for awhile. they have really become accustomed to having me around for a variety of reasons, maintaining THEIR independence being the most important and a priority for them of course. With me around they can live her comfortably, if I leave then they have to think very seriously about living somewhere they would have help, somewhere smaller with a lot less responsibility and work.

I have always felt really good about being here for them, my father suffered through two years of terrible health and illness. I was very involved in his care and recovery...it felt so good to actually be there for my parents instead of the other way around. Over a year ago, my mother fell while I was here, I was able to get her up safely, something dad couldn't do. It turns out she broke her left shoulder and was laid up for two months so I did a lot the cooking and clean-up until she was back on her feet. I hold down the fort here in the winter while they are in Florida. I still think I may spend winter down there this year....

I think ultimately it is nice to return the favor to our folks when we get older. they raised us so it's nice, a really nice feeling being able to return the favor and give back...