Cool Stuff

Monday, July 18, 2011

I Love My Dad...


In this post I am not trying to be sly and it's not really that complex or hard to understand, Nope. This is all about the fact that I love my father and feel so much gratitude to have him so active and involved in my life at the age of 81.

I've mentioned before that I am adopted, as was my sister who is a few years younger then I. My parents adopted both of us right after birth...I know very little about my birth parents and frankly never cared much. As long as I can remember my folks told me I was adopted, "I was chosen" they said. I never once felt weird, unloved or out of place...on the contrary I always felt very loved by both of my parents. I still do today...

And before I go on I want to say I feel just as strongly about my Mum as I do my Dad but this post today is about my Pop. During my teenage years we didn't get along very well. I thought I knew everything and was defensive, actually combative, plus I never listened to him. In some bull-headed ways we are very similar. I always get a kick when someone who has known us for a long time will say how much I look like my father. Of course they don't have a clue. I think it's cool of course and it doesn't surprise me..I think you take on the mannerism's of your parents and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

Shortly after my suicide attempt and getting sober, my father had a series of operations: he had knee replacements and a hip replacement. I was spending time here on the island and still was still maintaining a residence in Holland. My mom needed help with my dad's medical care so stayed here alot.

Shortly after healing up from those surgeries he became critically ill with an infection caused by a burst appendix
. He nearly died and spent a few months in the hospital, nursing home and then here at home as he began to heal and get better. It was at that time my parents and I agreed that I should move here and rent from them..so at the age of 45, I moved in with my parents.

Never in my wildest dreams had I ever thought that would have happened...yet it did. And it has been wonderful. We have issues, especially dad and I but it works out incredibly well.

This morning I played golf with my father and we really had a great time. It's 90 freaking degrees out but it was early enough that it wasn't to bad. For the last 30 years we have had Purdue Football Season Tickets together (see pic above) and that is one of the most enjoyable things we do each year.

I am so fortunate, so blessed really to have the relationship with him that I do. And it is obvious that God is in charge because left to our own devices, we would have killed each by now...