Cool Stuff

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Long Time Gone..

I'm thinking about my childhood this evening. In Columbus, Ohio...right at this very moment members of my graduating class (Worthington High School, Class of 1981) are gathering in some Tavern called the Winking Lizard to meet for the class's 30th reunion. It has me thinking a lot about those times and my life back then And you know what? The memories are mostly all really good....believe that?! I had a really good childhood and I enjoyed life back then a great deal....All that possibility...whoa!

I've been re-connecting with a lot of friends that go back to elementary school these last couple of days, actually and not just high school friends. And it has been quite fun. I really thought I wouldn't remember people from my childhood because the truth of the matter is I did burn a lot of Brain Cells and memory loss has begun to be a real issue for me these days. But I was really wrong about that, I remember a lot more then I expected too. FaceBook sometimes gets a bad rap because a lot of people abuse it but in this instance it has really been a great help because of all the folks I have been able to contact or respond to.

Though I haven't any real desire to have actually gone down to the reunion, this alone has really been a great experience for me. I never really considered it and I think that was the right move but it's been just a fun connecting here on the NET. If I wasn't sober and in recovery, I would not even of thought about this. My 5, 10 15, 20 and 25th reunion's all went by without me even thinking about them...actually I am not even sure the class had reunions all that time so I am just assuming that they did. It is harder to go back now because I no longer have any family (or friends for that matter) living back there. So that makes it several nights in a hotel, etc. and I'm just not that motivated to do all of that jumping through hoops but hey, one never knows....

But I did go back to a Purdue/OSU Football Game last Fall with my sister who lives in Dayton Ohio. Plus I went to a RUSH Concert in Downtown Columbus last August with K-Sue. I showed her my home town, the house I grew up in, my High School and just all the local stuff that I remember plus I took her out to visit Debbie at the Cemetery on US 23...it was a very worthwhile trip and for me it was the beginning of my journey back in time sober to those days. I was surprised to find so many connections still...

So to the Worthington High School Class of 1981...i wish you all the best tonight. It has been a blast getting in touch with so many of you again after all these years....