Cool Stuff

Monday, June 13, 2011

A Journey to Manhood...

The son of a very dear friend is leaving today to begin Marine corps Boot Camp out in San Diego, CA. What an amazing journey this will be for K as he really has never been very far away from his home or family in Holland, MI.

I think back to when I was 18 years old and I really didn't have a plan for life like this fellow does. I do recall that I was pretty overwhelmed by the idea that I was a high school graduate and that I was going to be on my own.

Kodee has been planning his route into the Marine corps for a really long time. He has given it a lot of thought and prayer. Once his decision was made he has worked really hard with his local Marine Recruiter to get and stay into "Boot Camp" physical condition. Of course nothing will totally prepare you for that kind of challenge but he is about as ready as you can be. He also has a strong spiritual life and that can only help him as well.

So I just wanted to remember Kodee here on SSS this morning and say a little prayer for him as he begins what will probably be the most challenging 13 weeks of his young life. He knows what to expect and I believe he is as ready as a person can be with out actually experiencing it.

So Semper Fi, young man and God's speed. May he guide, support and direct as you begin this new journey, one that ultimately leads to manhood.