Cool Stuff

Saturday, June 25, 2011

An Unpleasant New Reality

Well I have said it before and I will say it again...I really do love a new adventure. I do and now I actually don't mind shaking up my routine and trying something different for a change. It keeps life interesting, I learn new stuff...it's kind of fun really. But my new experience this morning was not an enjoyable one and frankly, I hope to never have to go through that again. What was this new experience I'm referring too? Well I'm glad you asked...

I had to vomit for the first time with the new valve in my stomach that is not supposed to let a person vomit anymore...That's right, I puked when I'm not supposed to be able to puke anymore. (I'll spare everyone pics on this post, you can thank me later!).

This was NOT fun and it really kind of started my day off on the wrong foot. First of all I just didn't sleep much and then at 3:30a or so I began to feel nauseous. Nausea is a side-effect of one of the medication's that I have taken for a long time so feeling a bit sick to my stomach...particularly in the morning is really nothing unusual. But periodically, I'll really not feel well and in the pre-surgery days I would usually take a sip or two of coffee, vomit all the coffee/water out of my stomach and I'd be good to go. It might happen once a month or so...I was beginning to think the surgery had taken that side-effect away...nope!

Anyway I had to get sick and I couldn't so I started gagging which made me feel even sicker so I started this weird sneezing/gagging/half vomiting thing that eventually got most of the liquid out but I never felt any relief like I used to. I've felt queasy all day and just not very good. I realize this sounds a bit daft but in the past I kinda liked being able to blow it out in 5 minutes and get on with my life...this was a rather rude awakening to a new morning reality for me, a true paradigm shift!

I suppose I can grumble but Ach...it isn't going to matter in the long run...I just hope I can get used to it because it was unpleasant and it actually really hurt stomach, diaphragm and abdomen as well.

It's always something, isn't it? But the reality is that the surgery made a huge difference. I was a very sick fellow and getting that esophagus fixed, preventing the acid from my stomach from seeping into my lungs has made my life so much more enjoyable. I had been unhealthy and then downright ill for a long, long time and had come to just accept the way I felt. I will take a little unpleasantness in the morning once in awhile over that nightmare any time...