Cool Stuff

Monday, October 17, 2011

The POWER




"What then are we to say about these things? If God is for us, then who can stand against us? He who did not withhold his own Son but gave him up for all of us, will he not with him also give us everything?" Romans 8:31-32


The above passage from the book of Romans (New Revised Standard Edition) is part of the passage that I read and commented on at the jail tonight. I was a person who never really had read the bible before but over time and especially in the last 10 months or so I have really been moved by the power in God's WORD. 


For a fellow who at one time felt utterly abandoned, helpless and alone, fighting off all the difficulties of life and living entirely by himself...these words were incredibly moving and powerful. I NEVER knew anyone could feel so strengthened...so emboldened and moved by what appear to be simply words. 


Well they are more then words. I just never understood the significance nor believed there was indeed power behind the WORD. Tonight my commentary was relevant to what I had been feeling for awhile. I had begun to doubt why these profound spiritual things were happening to me? How could I go from a man who did nothing for anyone unless there was something in it for him to a person who seeks out opportunity to work for the benefit of others. It didn't make sense, even to me and I was that FREAKING GUY!


The previous verses in Romans 8 to the one above state:"We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are CALLED according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn within a large family. And those whom he predestined he also called; and those he called he also justified; and those he justified he also glorified".  Romans 8:28-30


That made some sense to me...that perhaps there was a "grand" plan, a scheme of life after all....hey, I could and can believe that perhaps this was my chosen path. I know that may sound crazy and just plain ridiculous to some but to me it makes much more sense then this being just some "happy accident". I don't want to base my life and future on some happy accident. No there is too much significance, to much POWER in his WORD to deny that there indeed was a plan all along. Why? I don't have a clue...


But every bit of experience that I have had in my life...negative and positive have been useful lately in mission to minister to others who are hurting or experience struggle. It has been demonstrated, probably for my own "DOUBTING THOMAS'S" benefit so clearly lately that even I cannot deny that God has certainly been at work in my life. 


And as uncomfortable, as challenging as some of these experiences have been and still can be, the rewards to me personally, especially toward my growth overall as a loving, caring and giving human being have been absolutely, without a doubt.... PRICELESS. Perhaps it is really IS True...that I am actually CHANGING. Talk about BLOWING my mind!!