Cool Stuff

Friday, October 7, 2011

Thank You Matt!

I get to do something here this afternoon on The Shock that I just LOVE to do...write an honest to goodness feel good post.


Yesterday I wrote a post called I just Gotta Go and I'll be truthful: It wasn't one of my better efforts. Meaning it wasn't that great a piece of writing but the subject matter wasn't the best either. It was a little whiny as I was letting some of the stress of life cloud my usual positive, hopeful outlook. Life and certainly my life can be tough at times and things do not always work out the way we would like.


I was lamenting that I rarely travel anymore and even have a hard time getting to Holland MI to visit my son and girlfriend because of budget concerns. Hotels are expensive and gas is too...


Most of the regular readers here know I have always been a tad cynical and am very much a realist. I am one who usually expects the worst then if it doesn't happen well, Thats wonderful.


Imagine my shock (I love that pun!) when I received an email today from a guy named Matt who is a resident of the Holland area. Matt wrote me that he had read the blog and this post and wanted to do something to make things a bit easier to visit Holland. So he arranged for a significant discount at a  really nice hotel in the city, The Doubletree by Hilton for a couple of nights next week. He even worked around the Trellis and Vine Conference I am attending in Lansing Thursday and Friday...it was an astounding and generous offer.


I am truly stunned by this act of outright generosity and his caring attitude to his fellow human beings. I have no idea who this man is but he just told me a huge amount about his character this afternoon. I plan on dropping in at his place of employment Tuesday to introduce myself. 


Most of you know that it is rare for me to come up short on words...well I don't know what else to say except: Thank You and God Bless You Matt!