Cool Stuff

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Listen

There is a great deal of tragedy in the world today. Though in all honesty, there is EVERY day but it's not the big, flashy newsworthy stuff like Tsunami's and Earthquakes leveling Japan at this time. And I'm not trying to take anything away from that horrific situation, that just seems to be getting worse by the minute.

I can see why thinking people struggle to process what this all means. I had a good friend write me about some students of hers that are struggling with life, it's expectations and realities. I believe they are in the 12 year old range...I really empathize with them. That was the age when I really began to have trouble reconciling what I was seeing in the world, there were so many things that didn't make any sense at all.

One of the lessons that my life has taught me, not just once but time and time again is that we need to look out for each other..nurture one another, regardless of race, creed, belief, etc. This world is a hard place..no one should have to face it alone.

I think as human beings in our society we think that helping others is this big, complex ordeal. I've learned that it isn't at all. Some times just stopping to talk to someone, ask them how they are can make all the difference. And I'm not kidding.

Early in my sobriety, I was feeling very alone...things were tough and i didn't feel very good about myself. I was all set up to drink or use again...I really was. And just as I was contemplating running over to the liquor store and old buddy pulled into the driveway. He hadn't heard from me in a while and he just thought he'd pop by and see if I was around. Did he prevent me from acting on my emotions and drinking? i'll never know...but I know I was really struggling when he came by and I wasn't when he left.

He was just looking out for me....that is one of the guiding philosophies I try to follow today. Just pay attention to people, keep an eye out...you'll never know when a lonely person just needs a moment of your time. It doesn't cost you anything to listen...

That is my challenge to myself today. Pay attention to others...nurture them. As you know...I'm really hurting, physically and emotionally these days. I have some grave concerns of my own but I'm not going to focus on those today. It isn't easy to take the focus off myself and put it onto to others but that is what I am going to try and do today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment