Cool Stuff

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Taking Time...


I cannot tell you right now when the last time was that I had a craving for a beer/cocktail/glass 'o wine or really wanted to do drugs. It was that long ago that the compulsion factor of my alcoholism/addiction was removed from me. And not a minute too soon when it was either because in those early days I wanted to drink like....all the time.

No, today my feelings of negativity are more subtle really..very quiet...insidious. I don't want to drink but I'll get these moods (that are also getting pretty rare now too) where I'll feel like I don't want to carry on any more. Like I'd rather not live anymore...

They aren't suicidal thoughts...no, more like a reaction from the lethargy I get from Depression or just feeling down. And yes I was diagnosed with Depression among other things when I first started making the rounds of Psych Wards after my suicide attempt though I really believe the root cause for all those psychiatric diagnosis was truly my alcoholism/addiction. Treat those and the other symptoms all but disappear...

Overall I'd have to say that I am still learning every day how to cope with my emotions daily in a healthy, productive way instead of turning them inward or have them turn self-destructive. It's part of growing up haha, I am a 48 year old little kid!

In all seriousness though it is just part of knowing that is me and it OK. I had to get used to the notion long ago when I fist started practicing recovery on a daily basis that they're were going to be things that were going to be frustrating but the ultimate goal of continuous sobriety was worth the hassle. And it has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment