Cool Stuff

Thursday, May 26, 2011

People Hurt...

People hurt...that is the title that just popped into my head a minute or so ago but as written I could mean it in a couple of different ways. People may hurt one another, emotionally, physically or do the same thing TO themselves...

Today though I am reffering to people FEELING hurt inside of themselves. It could be a long seated, deep hurt from the past or life at present that is troubling them. But I am thinking about people I know this morning and how they are hurting in their lives...right now.

For some it's family that is causing them pain. A friend is concerned about her brother who is recently diagnosed with Leukemia yet that might not be the most troubling thing: He is also an active METH addict. He is so caught up in his active addiction that he is now making poor choice about his Cancer Treatment or just not showing up for them at all...It is so sad and really quite a tragic situation.

I have written before that being in recovery has made me more sensitive to the struggles of others. This was only enhanced when I became a Christian and spiritual things became even more important to me then they already were....It is hard to know so many people as I do today who are really struggling with LIFE.

Fighting off their DEMONS one day at a time or even a second at a time...holding off the Hell Hounds as the old blues tune (I would call it Blues-Spiritual) used to go. I know the feeling well, so well in fact when someone starts to relate their feelings of such an experience it is all I can do not too break down myself. I remember it like it was yesterday.

That is the main dilemma of trying to help others in the area of addiction or sexual abuse...there is PAIN involved in the process and there is absolutely no way to avoid that very simple fact. There is pain for all involved...it is impossible to sit and listen to someone relate their feelings about their hurt, their loneliness, their heartache and not feel that yourself. You'd have to be inhuman not to be affected by that...

By the rewards are great...for me I get my life. I live for this now and it isn't a burden, is isn't a big BUMMER, a DOWNER all the time. I can't explain why but their is a joy in sharing the heartache and sorrow of a friend and being there when they are in need.

I cannot picture life in any other way today but that was not always the case. I avoided such contact in the past. I had enough problems of my own....little did I know....

I want my friends to know that I care enough to share their hurt with them today. Often that is all i have to give them: myself, my attention, my willingness to hold them close while they suffer and represent the fact that this too shall pass. Life can get better..Today I find that my life is all I truly have to offer. The question is do I actually follow through and offer it? Good question....