Cool Stuff

Monday, May 23, 2011

THOR-God Of THUNDER

thor-painting.jpeg
I like thunder storms...not really sure why I just always have. I grew up in the mid-west, tornado alley basically so we got some doozies over the years. When I was a wee lad, I liked to pretend the booming thunder and flashing lightening at night were artillery fire on a battlefield...did I mention that I had a rather vivid imagination?

It was really cool when we were here at the lake during the summer. before my parents built their retirement home here, a cottage stood here for nearly 60 years that my grandfather built with his fishing buddies in the late 1930's. That cottage was a cool place to be during a major thunderstorm because it literally shook when the thunder cracked. I loved watching the storms come in over the lake....

So today has been kind of neat because we have had a series of 20 minute thunderstorms pass through, like 8 different times this afternoon. In the interval, the sun has been shining, a very unusual and rather odd kind of weather pattern.

I do feel a little funny enjoying this stormy weather like a little kid when this same weather pattern has wrought so much death and destruction in Missouri and other places west of here. And it was only a few weeks ago that Alabama suffered the same fate: Killer tornadoes and vicious weather...

I have total respect for the power of Mother Nature. When I was in Boy Scouts in Worthington Ohio as a 12 year old we were taken over to Xenia, Ohio a couple of weeks after the major tornado there. The damage 2 weeks after the fact was still absolutely incredible and those images have really stayed with me all these years. I feel for those people tonight in Joplin, MO...

I know everyone always says stuff like this when we have a bunch of severe weather but it really does seem like we are getting more then is typical. The tornadoes and catastrophic flooding this Spring in particular has really seemed to be almost biblical in it's severity. I realize that may be exaggerating it some but I can't recall a string of tornadoes like this since 1974 and that Superoutbreak in April of that year WAS described by many AS biblical in proportion!

So it just seems weird to me...but here I've been thinking how cool it was to be out on the golf course today in the sunshine and watch the storm come in 20 minutes later and just blow up into a huge storm. Then a half hour later it's sunny again...

I guess I'm just a freak when it comes to this thunder thing. People have often asked me if I was into Thor because thormoo my online handle for years has the word thor as the root. Unfortunately that came from the leader of a seminar I attended while I still worked for Herman Miller. he kept misreading my name card in front of my seat that read "Thom" as Thor. Of course my com-padres from work wouldn't let me here the end of it and gave me crap about it for years. But the nickname THOR never stuck.

The Moo part of the story I'll save for another time. You know me, I like to keep folks guessing...