Cool Stuff

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

RIP Bob Marley


Bob Marley died 30 years ago today. Some time back in 1978 or so my buddy's and I were in the habit of going to whatever concerts came to town. I lived in Columbus Ohio at the time so the bottom line was I ended up seeing a lot of classic rock bands in their prime Aerosmith, AC/DC, RUSH, The Rolling Stones, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Frank Zappa and the list went on and on.
Black and white picture of a man with long dreadlocks playing the guitar on stage.

One day a buddy, Phi Anderson called and said he had two tickets to some concert that night at veterans Memorial Auditorium that his sister had but couldn't use. Did I want to go? I said who was it and he said he never heard of the guy, Bob somebody. Whatever it was a concert, we both loved to go to shows, smoke pot and have fun so off we went.

The Bob somebody was no other then Bob Marley and the Wailers. I was absolutely stunned by what i saw and hear that night. I had never heard of reggae before but that little 3500 seat auditorium was absolutely levitating by the midway point of that show.

I've been a huge fan ever since. it's funny noew that i am a follower of the Lord I have an ever greater attachmentment to this man's music. It was so spiritual, calling out for redemption and forgiveness. Whoa, it sends shivers down my spine even now.

So 30 years agao today this holy man of music passed away. RIP Bob Marley...