Cool Stuff

Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Day To Day...



Some days, it seems are a real "slugging match" just to feel like you are able to compete, to stay afloat in this sea of trouble and upheaval. So much of that battle for me is mental....or emotional I suppose...fought almost exclusively between my ears and in my Heart...Long ago I just basically stopped reading, listening or watching the news. It is far too negative, to extreme and one sided to let myself be bombarded with it on a daily, 24/7 basis.


I was having enough trouble staying positive and connected to God without allowing that crap to seep in and affect my serenity or emotional balance. It has taken time in my spiritual walk to learn how to shut down all the potential road-blocks to serenity and keep the portal, my lifeline to God wide Open at all times.


In my daily life it seems like there are two types of struggle:


There is of course the regular day to day struggle to live life according to God's will and then there is dealing with a crisis....something unexpected, that I was obviously not planning for or expecting. I have made progress in handling both of those scenarios but I struggle more I think, with learning how to live day to day, then I do handling the crisis type situations. 


I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I handled a great deal of chaos in my past life...what I NEVER did was cope, was just live a normal, day to day life, taking care of my responsibilities and especially learning how to do all that and maintain a close and open relationship with the Creator at all times.


I think I believed,  probably like a lot of people believed...that a relationship with God was just going to church and periodically checking in through prayer once in awhile, usually when I was having an issue or things were a bit troubled. Maybe I would read a bit of the bible here and there as well. Needless to say, experience has shown me first and foremost that this just isn't enough to satisfy my need for God. No...I need him all the time and in all places...it's a constant and continuous walk with him that I truly need to save me from myself...now and forever.


And this is what I have been lead to seek day in and day out...it is my challenge this morning as I face another day here on the planet. If I can keep that portal, that constant connection to my Creator open and clear at all times...well it is so much easier for HIS love, wisdom and GRACE to flow through me to others that I am in contact with. God uses us to reach out to others...all I have to do is let myself be used today for his purpose, not mine...Needless to say this is not an easy thing for a person like me who wants to control everything, who thinks he knows what is best to do but it is so worthwhile when you get to that place where you can...


Well off to town and the Nursing Home Bible Reading Ministry at the Assisted Living Home....which quite simply is the perfect example of letting one's self be used for God's purpose. And I'll let you all in on a little secret...I have NOTHING to do with this ministry. Everything has really just fallen into place and doing this on Saturday mornings is my absolute FAVORITE thing that I get to do these days in my entire LIFE. I am not kidding...it has been a real blessing and it has been no trouble at all...


So, we'll see you this afternoon perhaps...


(PHOTO: Kathy Tomson)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment