Cool Stuff

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Autumn...It's a Coming!

I have to admit after writing all the HEAVY posts about dying, reincarnation, addiction, etc. that it was time to write about something else! I certainly am ready to think about something other then the difficult parts of living and growing these days.

Autumn is coming... I mean it is right around the corner and I for one, always really look forward to it. I admit that I am a person who really likes all the seasons of the year but if I have to choose...Fall is my favorite time by far. I was born in October and the setting of this time of year, the changing leave's vibrant colors providing a vivid backdrop for College Football, burning leaf piles and cool, crisp evenings. Pumpkins and corn being harvested...
I have lived in the Mid-West all my life but until I moved to Holland, MI in 1984 I had always lived in a big city suburb. Holland was (and is) a small town that not only has a factory/blue collar feel but a farm community feel as well. I lived in the country outside of town most of the 21 years that I lived there. I really took to the country and could live there again in a heartbeat...
So this time of year, Fall always has me thinking about being outside, picking apples, smoke swirling up from the piles of leaves being burned by the sides of the road...carts full of pumpkins for sale in every other farm yard.

Going to Purdue Boilermaker Football Games with my father is another Fall Tradition in my family. We have had Season Football Tickets for decades now and even when dad and I didn't get along very well, we spent Saturday afternoons together at football games...I really attribute our good relationship today to spending all that time together then. After the very rough and tough teenage years we had to get to know (and accept) each other again...going to games together allowed us to do that...

So I am excited about the onset of Autumn...yea, I do hate to see Summer slip away, I know it is a cliche but time really flew this year. Only another week or two and the football season's start, hey high School Football already started in Indiana this past Friday...good Apple Cider, Pumpkins and crisp cool weather is sure to follow!