Cool Stuff

Monday, August 15, 2011

Father...Time.


Mondays have become one of my favorite days of the week lately because for the last couple of months, I have been playing a bit of golf with my 81 year old father (pictured above). It is particularly special to me because his health had really gone down hill in the last decade or so...until this year. I would say he is as healthy, top to bottom as he has been in a long, long time. And this of course brings me much joy...

I imagine anyone watching this 81 year old and a 49 year old with a crippled back, left hip and two numb feet try to play golf gets quite a laugh! But we manage to play and have some fun...He often out drives me but I'm not embarrassed to admit it. Watching him play any kind of sport has always amazed me because he was a good enough athlete in high school to earn Kentucky All State Honor's as a Basketball Player. And you can still tell he has that athletic gift by how natural & smooth of a swing he has. If he played more often he would be a pretty darn good player.

But our bi-weekly golf outings are more about spending time together then golfing and I really enjoy it. That is the real joy because my father and I didn't always get along so I honestly cherish every moment. Plus it is physically good for both of us to be outside, getting some exercise.

Well I think the time has come, so we are going to head out into beautiful sunshine on this super-fine Monday morning...So it looks like we have good weather all day so I'll see you on the other side of 9 Holes.