Cool Stuff

Monday, August 29, 2011

Shakin' In Me Shoes!


Ahh, public speaking...one of my very favorite things to do! Not really, of course but a guy's gotta do what he's gotta do. And tonight, I gotta speak in front of some inmates at a local County jail. Actually....I really do want to do it...because my story is one of the few "good things" that actually came out of that horriffic mess called my active addiction.

It can be used to communicate to other people, some of who are struggling right now with the very same demons that I did...that you can actually change, that there really is HOPE. My story is one of the few positive things left in the aftermath of my addiction/alcoholism, it demonstrates to some, like it has to me that there really is a loving God out there who cares. There really is a reason to keep trying to change your ways and find a better life.

My hope tonight is that the right words come...I jest of course about public speaking but there is some truth to the notion that I am not real comfortable actually doing it. I'm not naturally good at speaking to groups though i have done it fairly often though never in this kind of setting. It helps of course that I know the material, haha. I just have to hope and pray that I didn't burn too many brain cells and I can remember it!

One thing I take comfort in though is I am at home among addicts and people who are hurting, whose lives are a mess. These are folks I can relate to...for I have been in difficult, unpleasant situations myself...and I remeber very distictly how if feels to be lost. It's hard to be any more "lost" in our society then to be incarcerated in Jail. Things are NOT going your way if you're locked up, that is pretty obvious.

So I have an interesting night ahead. I'll share some detail perhaps later but I always look at experiences like these as a privledge. Why? Because in all honesty, I shouldn't even BE HERE. I'm fortunate to be alive today, not to mention happy, healthy and well enough to be able to share a bit of my experience strength and hope with others. God has good to me, time to give a little of that goodness back...