Cool Stuff

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Wind Will Blow It Higher...

Steven Biko

Well, Well...I'm not as freaking clever as I thought I was, eh!?
In the last post, In Your Eyes I sorta blew it because I used the same words in the title of that post as are in the title of one of my favorite songs of all time: In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel.

I loved that song when it first came out as a single because of the haunting lyrics, the rhythmic melody and the sing at the end by Youssou N'Dour a Sengalese Singer and percussionist. His haunting wailing as the song closes gives me chills to this day.

This song combined with another Gabriel classic BIKO (written about slain S. African Activist Steven Biko whose picture graces the top of this blog post tonight) became constant musical companion songs for me for years. With my interest in History, I really became enthralled with the story of Steve Biko and those who worked and fought Apartheid with him. I recommend to any reader who hasn't heard of Biko to look up his story. It is because of men like Steven Biko and nelson Mandela of course, that South Africa is today FREE.
Nelson Mandela

Peter Gabriel's music of that era, incorporating black S African musicians into his band, helped spread the word to the young, the music lovers and new activists around the world playing at concerts for Amnesty International and the Nelson Mandela Concerts.

So I would have to say that I am thankful a couple of regular readers busted me chops on the "In Your Eyes" post title being the name of a really good song because that lead me back to those days when I listened to that music. It's been a great deal of fun listening to the various versions of those songs.

I must have missed something because I can no longer embed you tube videos on my blog posts so i'm not sure what happened so instead I've included links at the bottom of this post.

This post was written in highest tribute to and with loving memory of Steven Biko 1946-1977




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment