Cool Stuff

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Insomniac?!

A good friend of mine suggested that I blog about sleep deprivation, something that I'm pretty much an expert on. I had to laugh but you know, I can....so I will.

As a matter of fact the Pic that graces the front of this blog is a prime example of what a person looks like who gets about an an hr maybe two hrs of sleep every night, then drinks 15 cups of coffee throughout the day.


Wired, bloodshot, the old 1000 yard stare...yep I can see it, this poor bastard doesn't get enough sleep, he's a mess! Of course I happen to know him, haha so I verified it for myself....

I'm kidding around but in reality there isn't anything funny at all about not being able to sleep.

When you first sober up and/or kick drugs, it's not unusual to have difficulty sleeping. It makes sense, your body is used to having a sedative (alcohol, pain killers, tranquilizers, whatever) put it asleep. Then if you take that away, well the body has to adjust to it.

I didn't noticed if that happened to me because I wasn't really able to sleep well before that. Some of that was the fact that I went through a period of several years where I was having some serious nightmares the shrinks blamed on PTSD related to the sexual assault back in the 1970's. They were probably right, it got to the point where I was afraid to go to sleep w/out being plastered on booze/drugs.

It's funny, I experience the nightmares today but the effect seems to have chilled out. But I still don't sleep...the pattern is I go to sleep with relative ease...I take melatonin and that helps me get to sleep. But I wake up every 60-90 minutes throughout the night. And the most I can really lay there each night is maybe 3-4 hours tops.

I would blame that mostly on my back and hips, if I lay down too long the pain sets in and the only good way to handle it is to get up and move. So I do.

This bugged the crap out of me for a long, long time but I just accepted it and you know what, I now get up around 4a each morning and get a lot of stuff around the house done. I'm a morning person anyway so I blog and ride the X all long before most people even get up for work....

I'm also thankful that I enjoy reading because a good book is an insomniacs best friend. So I read a great deal in the morning before the world wakes up..I have a feeling that I'm not alone. I think a lot of folks don't sleep well. I just wonder what other folks do when they can't sleep...FaceBook I bet is a big one though I usually don't get on the computer in the middle of the night, too stimulating.

I imagine TV is another but for me it's warm milk and a book...

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... very similar with the insomnia thing... except I have NO VALID reason for not being able to sleep. It had been a problem throughout my life, but came back with a vengeance last year. Still working on it.

    ReplyDelete

Comment