Cool Stuff

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Why I SPILL

Popular belief suggests that talking about painful experiences in your life is unpleasant and even unnecessary. I beg to differ on both Points.

I've found the experience (of sharing)to be a positive part of my healing process opposed to a painful one. And as I have stated before: I cannot live a life in recovery if I do not make a real and concerted effort to help others along this same path. I give it away, as it were...to keep it.

The fact of my life is this: The painful part, the shitty stuff has already happened, I cannot take it back and it won't just go away no matter how hard I wished it would. All the fear, guilt, resentment and anger exists...what I can do is make that existence worthwhile by using it in a positive way. One alcoholic sharing their experience, strength and hope with another alcoholic WORKS, I know. It worked for me. I see it work for others every single day of my life now, it's not a joke...

I am sober today because several people took the time and had the patience to work with me. And as I've said many times: I was a terrible mess in all aspects of my life. Physically, Mentally, Emotionally and Spiritually. They helped provide me with a foundation on which I could build a new life. And slowly but surely that has happened.

What angers me today as when I see folks try to bury their past, as if pretending it doesn't exist will make everything OK. That's about as bad as pretending everything is FINE because your embarrassed to admit to friends, family, co-workers...whoever, that you have a problem and need help.

Things like alcoholism do not go away on their own...sorry, they don't...but what may seem awful, impossible to do could save your life. Just tell the truth and ask for help. Your story does not have to follow mine: My Last Day Alive..., you don't need to lose everything before getting help...Really.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that talking to people helps as well, either to get something out of my system or to talk to someone that understands. Blogging helps as well I find.

    ReplyDelete

Comment